Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spring Has Sprung

Spring has sprung in Padova. The weather switched so fast that although it is spring to Padova, it is summer to me. The problem? Italians think you still need to wear long pants and a jacket when it’s 65 degrees out, so when you walk around in a sun dress, you get lots of looks, but crazy looks. But I have no choice because I work up a sweat everywhere I go. I would absolutely melt in the summer so thankfully we leave at the end of May. But Italy in the nice weather is absolutely beautiful. My friend Amanda and I just sat in the piazza and ate gelato and people-watched the other day and it was blissfully relaxing. I would also like to touch upon how absolutely surreal it is to wake up and have essentially your home city on the front page of the Italian newspaper. It’s been a weird experience being abroad and having such a terrible thing happen so close to home and having to rely on Facebook to make sure everyone’s okay. I’m so thankful that none of my friends or family was hurt in the bombings, but it is very tragic indeed and I’m quite sad for all those involved. It especially hit home as a runner. Thankfully, we have all pulled together over here. Padova is apparently a sister city to Boston and held a vigil Tuesday night (although I did not attend) and decided to dedicate Padova’s Half-Marathon to Boston on Sunday. A few of my friends and I are running the 5k and I’m excited to be a part of something to show our love and support for Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment