Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Countdown Begins

I'm in Italy for 9 more days. Today I finished classes and now only finals remain, Monday-Wednesday, one each day. From here on out, every day is an absolute roller coaster of emotions. A mix of holding on, ready to let go, sadness from good-byes, excitement for what's ahead. It's krazy to think it's all coming to an end. So here is where I draw my lines. Things I will miss: 1. Hanging out in piazzas and drinking spritzes. I don't know how America miss the memo on both of these. Especially the piazzas. 2. My family clapping and cheering when I successfully make fun of Tommaso. 3. Helping out in my Italian research lab with all the fish and chatting with Alessandro. 4. The ease with which I can find, buy, and eat crepes. My stomach hasn't accepted this truth yet. 5. The little victories when I use the imperfect subjunctive correctly or get the grammar right the first time instead of the third. 6. Grabbing coffee at the bar. 7. Using swear words that make all the Italians laugh. 8. Wine with every dinner. (Bucknell, I would like you to know that the mensa has both beer and wine in the soda machine) 9. Doing homework out on the terrace at school. 10. All of my Italian friends and my wonderful host family. Things I will not miss: 1. People who walk with massive umbrellas under covered side walks. 2. People constantly trying to sell me shit I don't need by calling me "bella" (a. how original. b. Flowers die. c. I don't smoke. Even if I did, I wouldn't want a lighter in the shape of a toilet. Or a pistol. d. I already have sunglasses on my face - why would I buy another pair? e. I'm 21 years old. I don't need a light up ball that you throw around at night.) 3. My half hour walk to school. 4. My sit-down shower. 5. Lack of microwave and dryer. 6. Lack of Dunkin Donuts and bacon. 7. Expensive drinks. 8. On second thought, expensive everything. 9. Facebook conversations with U.S. friends. 10. T9 texting. Things I'm excited for: 1. Summer at Bucknell, obviously. 2. David's graduation. 3. Getting my haircut. 4. Getting my official over 21 driver's license. 5. Being legal in the U.S. 6. Jamming out in my car. 7. MIDNIGHT!! Things I'm not excited for: 1. Coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to be a senior in college. 2. Figuring out what the hell I want to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment